Hi there lovely reader! I’m Benita – Welcome to my blog project “Affiliate Muse”.
How to build a successful online business?
First, you need to become a bit like an architect. (Actually, you will have to become A LOT like an architect)
- Are you doing this website for pure pleasure alone?
- As a creative outlet for yourself?
- Or do you want your blog to generate full-time income?
I decided it will be fun to write a blog about it. To have a place, where I can collect all my new results. And show the progress in a real-world example.
So in here, you will find reviews of courses and books, and some techy tutorials (in a simple step-by-step style) to help you get started today.
We will be discussing:
- storytelling techniques (as in psychology)
- how to get your message heard online
- how to grow your audience
- how to create more traffic
- how to stand out from the crowd
- how to refine your message
- how to monetize your blog
- how to attract the right people to your site
- and much more..
From my past experience, I know, that there are some strategies that work, and some mistakes, which are better to be avoided. Most important mistake to avoid:
Don’t walk the path alone.
If you only read until here and only take this one sentence with you, this text was worth it.
Seriously, if you want to do this: Join a community of like-minded people.
It’s much more fun to do it together. Plus you will get the support, hope, and inspiration when you need it.
A Little Story About My First Online Success.
I had my first online “success” back in 2005 when I started posting my artworks in various communities. I had no plans, I just wanted to get better at drawing. What happened then sparked my curiosity…..
Let’s talk numbers: Up to this day, my online portfolio has been viewed a whopping 2.183M times. I have to repeat that:
2.183M – that’s over 2 Million times. This level of exposure had a HUGE effect on my career. People “from the internet” started offering me jobs, which was all very exciting. Until one day.
It happened all of a sudden, the company, that I was working for, had to file for bankruptcy and from one day to the next, I was without work. Needless to say, they also hadn’t paid my invoices. We sat there, overworked, dry red eyes and couldn’t get it. Why would they shut down?
I went to court and all the rest of it, fighting to get my payment (which after one year of waiting, I eventually got)
This event shook me out of the naive idea, that relying on some singular outside force would be a good business strategy for my life.
In the months that followed I studied everything about how to create a business of your own.
- The word “online marketing” popped up.
- Providing value.
- To help other people with the special knowledge that only YOU have.
- The idea, that your message is valuable and needs to be heard
- To do the REAL work, instead of some fake work, that will only get you from month to month
- To be independent and live the life you truly want to live.
I started to read new books and blogs and pretty soon I had entered a new world.
Could it be, that the “normal” way to do things (go to the office, spend 3 hours stuck in public transport every day, never have time for your loved ones, never know if this job would be safe or not) – that it would be wrong? Could it be, that there would be a better way?
And then it clicked.
Why I Created The “Affiliate Muse”.
“Muses are the inspirational goddesses of literature, science, and the arts in Greek mythology. ” (-Wikipedia)
The idea for the “Affiliate Muse” came to me one afternoon at the lake.
- Why is it, that some websites succeed and others don’t?
- What’s the magic ingredient that will make one site lift off and fly, while others never leave the ground?
- Can that ingredient be found and applied to our own creation? And if so, where should we look for it?
Those were my thoughts, as I relaxed in the sun, looking at the beach and the lake below us.
And it’s not just the technical aspects that will make a site work. It’s the “why” AND the “how”. I needed a domain name for that.
So later that night, I was looking for something, that would capture both sides of my favourite subject:
- Affiliate marketing – Which is the more “techy” part of this blog, having a lot of jargon in it – like “SEO”, “long tail keyword research”, “split testing” – and then:
- Branding & Storytelling – Which is the “sensual/emotional/aesthetic” part of this blog – being all about “how to refine the look and feel of your brand”. This will deal with feelings, psychology, myth, communication & design.
And that’s how the Affiliate Muse came into being. And yes, I love a bit of mystery.
We Are All Students. We Are All Teachers.
A few years ago I got involved with Kendo sword fighting. I practiced in our dojo for a year before I moved to a new city and sadly didn’t find a new entry point to start with the training again. So I stopped. But what I learned in that short time, and what stuck with me was, that every person in that room was a student. And every person was a teacher.
There was no: “Now you be quiet, I will show you!” attitude. It was all learning and studying together.
For this site, I wish to create a similar atmosphere. It’s still in the early stages, but I have a feeling that it will be fun 🙂
Looking forward to hear from you!
PS: If you ever feel stuck with your project or if you need feedback, feel free to say hello. I will be happy to help you out: email@example.com
PPS: Don’t walk the path alone – get help & inspiration, when you need it.
At the beginning of June 2018, I joined the forum on WealthyAffiliate, it has been the best decision for me. In just 2 weeks I managed to get this new blog here set up and running. The spirit in this community is just awesome – you will love it 🙂